Distington Big Local is involved in a number of projects and initiatives in the local area.
How we have helped so far….
During summer 2022 to date we received community chest and transport grant applications from five local established groups, which were all awarded funds these groups were Distington Club for Young People who received a community chest grant for a summer trip to Lakes Aquarium and also help with transport from the transport grant, Fareshare for surplus supplies and help with fuel costs for collecting deliveries, Evergreens for transport for a planned trip, £500 rewarded to the Committee for the upcoming fireworks display and also a donation to Together We to help them move into new premises in Distington. If you would like to apply for a grant please see information below.
Community Chest & Transport Grants
Do you have an established group that may benefit from community funding? your group could benefit up to £500 from the community fund. please download and complete an application form attached. If you require any assistance please contact Katie Storey or any of the board members who will be able to help. (Application forms are also available at the Community Centre)
Green Doctor Programme
If you’re still feeling the strain of last year’s energy bills and are worried about rising prices, Green Doctor can help. Get free, support to manage your finances and cut energy costs: https://www.groundwork.org.uk/greendoctor/get-help/To register for this service please contact the number listed below on the flyer or complete a short referral form online here: https://groundwork.secure.force.com/CadentEnquiryFormIf you have any queries please do not hesitate to get in touch. firstname.lastname@example.org
Distington Big Local planned projects
- Distington Big Local are hopeful to secure planning permission, to facilitate the proposed new play park on the Hinnings Road site a development identified and supported by the Distington community through past consultations.
- We will continue to financially support Distington Club for Young People (DCYP), albeit reducing the funding each remaining year with a view to making the club more resilient in future when they won’t be able to rely on us for funding support. Our legacy for this group is to have helped them continue to provide youth services in the village and increase their volunteer skills which will no doubt help them for many years to come.
- We will continue to provide Community Chest and Transport Grants for local community groups. This will make groups stronger and better able to access diﬀerent funding in future. We have changed the application process to make it more accessible to groups that don’t hold a bank account (for application form and guidance documents please see below)
- We will provide continued support to Distington Community Centre in assisting with the refurbishment of toilet facilities to bring up to date and in line with the modern kitchen facilities already achieved through DBL funding.
- We will look and review any further funding applications that may come in from the community that may need a higher level of funding than that available from the community chest fund.
- We will continue to support residents to access new skills, employment programmes and signposting.
- We will continue to support the community and hold community events and work alongside other community groups in partnership for events that may arise.
- We will continue with our efforts to communicate and consult with the village on the land owned by Distington Community Trust and how best to develop this. Outcomes of the consultation will be included in our next 2 year plan as to what legacy the community want to see. One of the criteria on selecting projects for the land development is to favour developments which can generate long term revenues for the village.
- Distington Big Local will look at bringing in match funding for some of the projects it is planning.